Switching Hosting Plans at InMotion
About: dedicated servers | inmotion hosting
- thinking domains
the circumstance to realize is that speak to me catalog cannot afford to pay almost $500/month for hosting. We are already almost just breaking even. This would entail us going into debt starting next year. That will not happen.
Possibly we can just move to a cheeper plan. Then make a 6 month commitment and get that amount down to somethng that speak to me catalogue revinue will bear. If we do that wisely, i doubt it would affect our abilities here too adversly. That will buy us some time before the two old people running that business retire. But what happens then? So that would be just kicking the can down the road a bit.
Alternatively some revinue from other sources (eg thinking domains) could also balance the circumstances.
This needs further practical study and thought. … perhaps even an #LoaSwim
in chat with inmotion now. awaiting their anser to …
the agent is still thinking about this.
I need to continue all of my current projects on VPS-2000S, but i am a bit behind on montizing those. So that i will not be able to afford the $490.89 that is due on the 29th. How can i keep almost all of the capabilities of the VPS as it is working now, and downgrade to something that i can afford?
Well, since this was first posted, we can spawn new 3.0 domains. Finished that 3 weeks ago. No auto generation of groups and thoughts for every need yet … but don’t at this time really know what all those needs will be. Obviously anything can be spun up manually in a few minutes. When there is an actual need to transfer stuff between domains, then we can start on that software. I explained the issues around that in some other post … and they are fairly well known, just a matter of deciding by excitement in the actual context where something is happening so that excitement actually exists and drives things to the next level.
As far as I know, only FB login and sharing is missing … and that too just needs a upgrade when it’s actually being used, and it aint’ here at FBI.
well i do need to have FB login in a 3.0 domain at td.rentonfoodcop.com … it would flow nicely if that happened before our next meeting which is December 28. Otherwise i will need to take a different tack with the CoOp forum. It also needs to be well tested.
but that is irrelivant to the monetary transaction. There is no possible revinue to cover the $490 that is due next Thursday on this end. I see no way to avoid the downgrade unless you can cover part of that cost from your end. And i do not think that the downgrade will interfear with anything we are doing now. It just means that we might need to upgrade when things start popping. But #IDoNotKnow … i have yet to get an answer from inmotion to my burning question
Yep. As long as you are allowed to keep all the domains that exist as they are, I don’t see any problems either way. The only bottleneck is harddrive space and the first place that will be felt is you and mainly Marks constant uploading of images here at FBI.
Bandwidth is not an issue. The bandwidth and processing here is outrageous and far exceeds any current need. Speak draws the most for real people. The overwhelming use of bandwidth across all the sites is the 500+ search bots that scour them each day … and if needed, they could be curbed at all the sites like I did for them here at FBI.
well it is not just mark’s uploading of images … i uplod many and do not intend to allow that ability to be curtailed.
so if cutting the storage down is part of the downgrade, we will need to find a way to continue to allow those uploads. maybe future uploads could go to a cheeper cloud storage.
Yep. I looked into bulk image storage for FBI a year ago. There were viable options then at much cheaper rates than inmotion is offering, and probably even more and cheaper options today. You nixed it last December because you upgraded and said that was all you wanted to do then. Now, maybe you want to go the other way. Cycles are the natural way!
and i would deerly love to extend our upload capability to include sound files (wth a good player) as well as other file types like .txt and .pdf.
.txt and .pdf do upload. You brought this up a month or so ago, and I showed that they do.
Sound should, but video does not simply because it would eat the remaining harddrive space for lunch!
well i believe your analysis there is deficient … but no matter … the point is that sound files can be easily uploaded and that upload puts a player … wait the agent is saying something ...
do we have any software installed on our server that requires root?
Whatever seth. The software is there. It was all made for 2.0 and somewhere there is a thought that shows a live example of all the types that work, including even the sound player.
Well, that’s a trick question. The answer could be yes, or no, depending on exactly why they are asking.
sound files upload ok … but they do not leave a player in the thought. so in a way they are useless for ease of use.
Yea, whatever. That kind of thing is trivial. Should not be in a discussion about moving media resources to the cloud.
it was asked in this context …
Well, in general, we can better operate the server as root, so it would be good to keep that if possible. But separate root for each account is fine. And if absolutely necessary, nearly anything can be done by hacking if we don’t have root access and none of our current software absolutely requires it … it will just make managing some things much more tedious not to have it. Hours instead of minutes in some cases.
Case in point. FBI can only run on PHP 5.x … someday it needs to be upgraded to run on the current industry standard PHP 7+. Not having root will make that migration much more difficult.
Can you tell me how much disk we are using right now?
this is shaping up even better than i expected … might get it down to $30 a month … with maybe very little, if any, loss of capability
I can with some work. Have to set up this ip to log in to a console etc.
Actually found a quicker way with the PHP console.
It is 62,456,586,240 of 133,120,000,000 bytes … or about 63 gig of the 133 gig avalable.
Was a lot higher. I did a whole bunch of cleanup 3 weeks ago moving lots of backups to bitbucket.
so now Colton is transfering me to the billing dept. The tech department will move all of the data with no problem. Apparently i will “negoiate” the storage with the billing people. We almost certainly will need to give up root.
Okay … so it looks like our new plans would be chosen from here …
i would tend to go with this one ..
timing wise maybe you could do whatever you need to do upgrade wise befor the transfer. eh?
By the 28th? If I think of something, I will do it. Nothing I can think of at the moment that I could squeezing into that timeframe.
Drive space use now shows up on the tab.
chat transcript with inmotion … from my email
Well i must que the transfer before the 29th or pay the large bill. I guess i can que the trasfer to take place on the 28 or 29 … maybe even later. I just thought that since you were keen on the ease of upgrading software with root, you would want to do that while we still have root.
the number of dedicated IPs might also need some attention. right now i believe we are using about 3 … 1 for speaktomecatalog, 1 for fastblotit, and 1 for everything else. i am not sure how that will change. we want a smoothe transition of IP urls.
the #kewl thing is that it looks like we will be in the same ballpark of disk storage that we are in now. so that we can easily defer going to a cheeper outside cloud.
It’s not that simple. The only real thing I have in mind needing root for is the PHP upgrade. But that requires converting mysql calls in all the PHP code everywhere over to mysqli calls first … and doing and testing that is up to a week’s real time work, and I have lots of holiday plans.
If I have to, I could spin up a TD on a free Heroku instance, do the work, and then back port it to FBI and have inmotion do the root change to PHP. Just more work, but I am not able to do the up front work so soon, don’t even know when it would actually be exciting.
But, the PHP upgrade will be needed before selling external TD’s. No one will want to buy software that has to run on PHP 5.x … that would be a deal breaker for most people.
Why do you need any dedicated IP’s? I have never needed or used them.
i have no idea … it was just the way i set it up … thinking that a separate IPs would be to some advantage. but perhaps to modern servers and the modern internte there is not real advantag.
The only reason I know of to have a dedicated IP is if you have some software not on the server that needs to regularly talk to something on the server and can’t look up the ip by name for some reason. Usually only used for intra corporate infrastructure, secure tunnels between branches and shit like that. Nothing I know of you and I are doing needs one.
well looks to me that an upgrade to PHP 5.x is not going to be feasable before the transfer. so then that should happen after the transition and not with you having root.
What are you calling a “external TD” ? … TD that we do not host at inmotion? In that case then there is no problem. Just the knowledge that we should do that project prior to selling those … there are no immediate plans for that anyway.
Yes. Not so sure about your “no immediate plans” though. My experience has been, and this goes back even to Clickshop, that once you release something new and great, more people want their own than people who want to be hosted by someone else. Sometimes that is not practical, but with TD’s it is totally practical (except for the PHP version thing) and that’s likely the rabbit hole the money trail will want to go down by it’s own volition.
my immediate “business” plans are to open TD hosted by inmotion and lease them, or arrange for the economic energies to be balanced in some other manner. If we find a customer who wants to host it himself, then we can negoitite with him to cover the cost of whatever upgrades or changes need to be made. #inho i do not think that will likely happen this winter or even next spring.
No need for you to go off crusading about this. You can not get up on your horse and things will be fine.
#OMG … what is that all about? There is no crusade here. There is just planning together.
Or are you just being funny “” ?
Not really. We have been down this road for many years. Inevitably you crusade on this a some related subjects. I know you haven’t yet, but that’s why I say it. Maybe you don’t have to this time.
hmmm … seems to me that you call what i say “my crusade” whenever i have a different story of what will happen than do you. (apparently that is what happend above)
Can you see that is what is happening here?
It is not that. There are many things we differ on that you don’t crusade about. There are only a handful of subjects that send you up on your horse. Heck, we differ about all kinds of things in #LOA that you don’t crusade about. On technical issues, we differ about the default for images (I am adamant that it should be unset because I never want images floated left … but you have that your way). We differ on that the about boxes should not require an extra click (I have that one right now). There are many more things we differ about all across the spectrum. It’s only a crusade when you jump up on your horse and get that whiney attitude that I am intentionally abusing you.
Well when i want to do somthing that is exciting for me, and you will not cooperate such that my intentions are thwarded … then i will bring that to you attention. you may call it “whining” if that is how it is experience over there … but one way or the other the conflicting stories must be resolved. Either i must change my intentions, perhaps see an alternative path, or you must make the same change. To my memory i have always discussed those matters with you quite adult to adult.
As I said before, it is more than just that. Your focus narrows until you can only see a very tight set of details no matter what others show to you. And you stop listening to anything that doesn’t agree with where you are charging with that obsessive focus and don’t hear anything else until you finally come down off your horse.
ok that is the way you experience what happens relative to yourself. i assure you that i experience it relative to myself quite differently.
Well of course you do. Yes, I am telling you what I observe. On some subjects I observe that after a particular trigger, you appear as I relate above, which I call crusading. I simply give up when that happens because no matter what I say or do it appears to have no effect on you or ability to be heard by you, until the crusade runs it’s course. Then you appear to go back to normal, and can be talked to again normally.
so Tuesday after Christmas, i’ll call billing and have them switch us over to the RS-3000S plan. Perhaps the exact timing will then be up to their technical department. At least that is the plan.
We need to verify, if you haven’t already, that WHM is still available. And if not, how to restart MySQL and Webserver otherwise without root access? Being able to restart those is critical when developing and the current CPANEL does not have that.
text of chat … see email …
It is what it is. I suspected as much … shared servers. I have sometimes made mistakes that run SQL queries that pretty much lock up the server for a long time. But since the price is so much lower, guess it doesn’t matter in the end. Just means that it is possible the site will be down for a bit sometimes … like it can be at most hosting sites.
you of course have the full resources of their tech department. i can give you a secret password that validates that your are authentically working on the domain.
are there any special software packages running in thinking domains that are not normally included in their reseller package?
The only one I believe I added is git … but I think that was because of how old your basic package was. A new system would have come with git.
But that’s the thing. I don’t know if they are moving all the software as is, or just moving the stuff under the user trees. Git is part of the system software normally and that is how I added it using root access.
okay. obviously that is something that you will be responsible for coordinating.
in chat with billing department … only real question should be to term of renewal … 6 months or 12 months. is there going to be a discount for the longer term … how much?
Happening today seth?
welll the technical departement approved the downgrade … email ref here. Now i need to deal with when it will be scheduled to happen and the exact financial transaction.
Okay. Well above says the 28th. That’s today. Being available, if possible.
ok i in chat now completing the transaction. i don’t know yet how it will be scheduled.
Billing clerk reported that , “They said that your ticket is close to the top and will be started soon”. see chat below.
as per email we paid for it on time.
i’m going to contact tech support again to see if they will give me a better estimate of when they will do the transfer.
denise is keen on doing a mailer and i don’t want that happening while the transfer is happening also.
Yep, that’s for sure. And there is no guarantee anything in particular will work afterward too. Even speak. Without some fixing.
I am making FULL backups of FBI and all data often today … except images, but those should not be lost in any scenario.
I also have a #TD working on Heroku now, except for images which cannot be stored onsite with the free account so I am looking at the options for cloud image storage which we wanted to do anyway.
Getting a #TD working on Heroku did make it more likely that FBI will still work. The effort was worth it overall. And once I solve the cloud image issues, any #TD will be able to be hosted on Heroku just by opening a free account and filling in the bitbucket git url … no other setup required. And as the site expands, all that will be needed is to upgrade the account starting at about $7/month and up as the site grows.
#WOW that is good news indeed ! Care to give me the URL to the #Heroku #TD ?
In an amazing coincidence the tech guy i just chatted has initials “Ed P” …
er, Ed Porter or I.T fame …
- Thought A Law of Attraction Event Story with 809 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought #Integrity #authenticity with 442 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought The psychology of Inside Outside Story with 399 viewings related by tag "LoaSwim".
- Thought Buddah Lied with 336 viewings related by tag "IDoNotKnow".
- Thought Seeking Information with 328 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought Well here i am back in this reality with 306 viewings related by tag "omg".
- Thought Human Presence in a Thinking Domain with 284 viewings related by tag "thinking domains".
- Thought about: Look at all the Google Cloud Apps that we can deploy with 258 viewings related by tag "heroku".
- Thought about: Syrian War - comment 75615 with 230 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought Maintaining a Group Domain Spirit with 229 viewings related by tag "ThinkingDomains".
- Thought LOA Trumps Hillary with 172 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought #WillToBelieve with 168 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought Sensing ... with 167 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought Doing things for others with 164 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought The ego bubble plane with 150 viewings related by tag "LoaSwim".
- Thought Taking Control with 141 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought about: Megaphone vs Free Speech vs Political Correctness - comment 73418 with 140 viewings related by tag "OMG".
- Thought [title (21932)] with 137 viewings related by tag "IDoNotKnow".
- Thought DMT - and the reality drug with 130 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought are your thoughts yours alone or are they really available to all who can tune them in? with 118 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought What comes first ... thinking or doing ... er, always? with 114 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought Triangulating ... with 111 viewings related by tag "LoaSwim".
- Thought Little magical circumstances. with 111 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought To upload mp3 files to Fillmore box 6300 with 107 viewings related by tag "wow".
- Thought Thinking Together with 107 viewings related by tag "ThinkingDomains".
- Thought Fallacies and Pallacies with 104 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought Why my trains of thought break ... with 103 viewings related by tag "ThinkingDomains".
- Thought General to specific with 101 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought Mark Fo Hammer's new age thinking and brain coupling with 98 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought [title (23969)] with 97 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought about: How some Losers play the RWG - comment 67990 - comment 68201 with 92 viewings related by tag "OMG".
- Thought #iSwim with 86 viewings related by tag "LoaSwim".
- Thought next urgent desires ... with 86 viewings related by tag "thinking domains".
- Thought Making up Others with 84 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought Going from Spectrum to Trinity with 81 viewings related by tag "IDoNotKnow".
- Thought The Saga ... Beliefs navigate our LOA Swim with 81 viewings related by tag "loaswim".
- Thought Crisps up LOA! with 78 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought Read between the lines ... with 78 viewings related by tag "IDoNotKnow".
- Thought REPORTER with 77 viewings related by tag "OMG".
- Thought about: one of the best dialogues ever written! ever! the egg. | spirit science with 76 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought about: SNL' spoof of Kellyanne Conway with 73 viewings related by tag "OMG".
- Thought Midnight Cowboy in Seattle with 63 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought Thoughts at Luther's Table ... with 63 viewings related by tag "wow".
- Thought an example of LOA philosophy not working ... with 61 viewings related by tag "loa".
- Thought My Google Saves with 60 viewings related by tag "OMG".
- Thought Thinking in the Public River with 58 viewings related by tag "OMG".
- Thought Deeds collapse Possibilities into Manifestations with 55 viewings related by tag "LOA".
- Thought about: Wikileaks.Org with 55 viewings related by tag "wow".
- Thought Amazon's Buy Box Games with 52 viewings related by tag "OMG".
- Thought Yet Another "Circumstances don't Matter" with 50 viewings related by tag "LOA".